Benefits of Screening Mammograms
Breast screening saves lives by finding breast cancers early, before they can be seen or felt. Breast screening reduces the number of deaths from breast cancer.
What are the benefits of having a screening mammogram?
In this section, we’ve provided an overview of the key benefits of breast screening, to help you make an informed choice.
You should also read about things to be aware of when considering a screening mammogram.
Benefits of Breast Screening
- Breast screening reduces the number of deaths from breast cancer
- A screening mammogram can find very small cancers – the size of a grain of rice – before they can be felt or noticed by you or your doctor
- When breast cancer is found early, the cancer is more likely to be small, which is when treatment is most successful
- Finding breast cancer early means a better chance of survival
- Women whose breast cancer is detected by BreastScreen NSW are half as likely to need a mastectomy
- For women over 50, a screening mammogram is the best method for early detection of breast cancer
- Breast screening is completely free and the appointment only takes 20 minutes!
To find out more about what happens when you attend a screening mammogram, go to Your Mammogram Appointment
Did You Know?
9 out of 10 women who develop breast cancer do not have a family history of breast cancer
To find out more about the benefits of regular screening mammograms, download our brochure, Early Detection is Vital.Back to top of page